Favorite Recipes – 2 For Breakfast
2 Breakfast recipes to feed your Christmas morning crowd!
Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup (serves 6 – 8)
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
Sausage Apple Ring with Cheesy Scrambled Eggs (serves 6-8)
- 2 lbs Jimmy Dean Sausage (any flavor)
- 1 ½ cups Ritz Cracker crumbs
- 2 Eggs – slightly beaten
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Onion – finely chopped
- 1 cup Apple – pealed and finely chopped
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Press lightly into a lightly greased 6-cup ring mold or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain excess fat from pan.
Just before serving fill the center with cooked scrambled eggs and sprinkle with grated Cheddar Cheese.
You can prepare this the day before and cook it the morning you need it!