2 Grilled Lettuce Recipes
With summer around the corner, here are 2 salad recipes you can do on the grill.
GRILLED ROMAINE SALAD WITH BACON AND BLUE CHEESE (serves 6)
3 Romaine hearts
12 pieces of thick cut bacon
5 oz blue cheese crumbles
For the dressing:
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup light olive oil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried oregano
A little salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fry bacon in a large skillet – reserve the bacon fat
- Slice each Romaine heart in half and set aside
- Heat your grill up over high heat – you want very hot grates so you get a quick char without cooking the lettuce too much or wilting it
- Using a basting brush, lightly brush a little bacon fat onto the flat side of each Romaine half
- When you are ready to grill, place the Romaine halves flat side down on the grill and just keep them on there until they have light char marks – it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds
- Remove the Romaine halves to a plate and turn off your grill
- For the dressing, add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together, or add to a jar and shake
- To assemble the salad, top each Romaine half with bacon and blue cheese crumbles, and drizzle on the balsamic dressing. Serve immediately.
CHARRED GEM LETTUCE (serves 8)
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1/2 small clove garlic, pressed
1/4 c. plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
6 heads gem lettuce or 3 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
Shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place almonds and 1/4 cup water in a blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, and garlic. Process until combined, about 1 minute.
- With the blender running, slowly pour 1/4 cup oil through the feed tube until combined. Season with salt and pepper. (Thin with an additional tablespoon water, if desired.)
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush cut sides of lettuce with remaining tablespoon oil. Grill, cut sides down, until charred, 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to a platter.
- Drizzle dressing over lettuce. Top with Parmesan. Serve immediately.